Some great photos on your site but the site design should disappear further into the background for me so your photographs are the focus of attention.
… there are too many details I find distracting: the prominent lines in the body, the sidebar colour and the number of words encroaching the image in the centre (the tag cloud).
Made a lot of sense to me. Here’s what I have done to address some of it.
I always knew there was something amiss but couldn’t really put my finger on it. I really like the changed look much better. Its cleaner and even more elegant. Small tweaks but they go a long way…
Below is how this website got shaped up over the last 40 days or so - in pictures.
1. Brainstorming the website structure
2. Designing the page layouts at a local deli place
3. Daily (or nightly) builds of things to-do
4. CSS tweaks. CSS is probably the best thing that has happened to the browser. Well, since the browser itself.
5. And the final product as of 9/1: Complete with a couple of blogs, functionality for buying high quality prints, seamless navigation, tag cloud, RSS feeds and really clean, beautiful pixels all over the place.
I hope you enjoy your time here. Go ahead, take a look around…